At His Grave

Charcoal, my hair, latex balloon, salt, glue, envelope and copy of poem below
July 13, 2007

I was in a very rough patch after Mark's birth once again ripped all the old trauma open.  This was especially bitter after all the work I'd done earlier, since I thought I was doing so much better.  I was deeply grieved and angry.  Deeply many feelings- anger, fear, grief, rage, betrayal, disappointment.

I decided to go to Grampa's grave at Fort Snelling.  At first I hoped to pour ketchup all over his grave and scrawl "pedophile" and "murderer" on the gravestone.  However, I had visions of being hauled away by military police for defacing a national cemetery.  And something about it didn't seem quite right- a little too Hollywood and not personal enough.  I waited for the idea to develop and eventually decided to salt his grave instead.  It would melt into the ground, hopefully killing the grass, without leaving a trace.  Besides the symbolism rocked.

I went and got my hair cut. I considered having my head shaved in mourning but decided that would make my intimate grief and anger too much for public consumption.  My experience was private.  Not secret, but very private.  I got it cut short and asked for my hair clippings.

Anjali brought me home a mylar balloon- a big red heart.  That was the last symbol.

I gathered supplies, bought a fancy envelope, paper, marker, and good glue, wrote out the flashback poem below, and off I went to the cemetery.  I stabbed the balloon, shredded it, and "decorated" his grave with salt, my hair, and my heart; then I sat down and recreated it in my art journal.

I took a handful of the hair, salt, and balloon shreds, drove to my parents' home, and left some secretly on their curb.

I still felt anger, fear, grief, rage now mixed with elation and satisfaction.  Scared and fierce and determined I had made my statement at his grave.


Flashbacks Under Joe's Safe Hands


spider hands
     long   thin
         yellowed
      reaching for me

black silhouette against the
white light of the
      doorway

his hand clamping over
     my mouth
    silent screaming
    shaking my head
                 violently

he plugs my nose
and my heart races in
panic- I can't breathe
       & my heart stops

"Don't make a sound,
           or I'll kill you"

wipes his semen on me

upward pressure from
         vagina through uterus
         and into diaphragm
           and chest

hand/arm pressing on
  my chest & torso

legs forced apart with
         a lot of pressure

body think & heavy
                    body
               expanding,
                     bubbling away
               from soul

chest   arms   neck   tongue
        heavy & thick

uterus & vagina thin &
          emaciated

arms pinned down?
          left arm?

I was bad
       I'm being punished

thumb-sucking
           soothing
                   floating
                       disconnecting

tingling up sides of head

clenching of chest
                   fists
                   vagina
                   legs

pried open
      forced
           knee on leg
               fingers probing
                          hurting

head tingles
    chest constricts
            floating

my throat clenches
        constricts
my pelvic floor
               constricts
               weakens
               hardens

screaming
         screaming
                  screaming
    without sound
    without breath

push it down
 force it closed
      lodge it
           lock it

I am a good child
   I am a happy child
        I am good

I will not be beautiful
     I will not be wrong
            or I will die
               suffocated

suffocating on my own
                     screams
  I can't keep my legs
                   together
  I can't...

My soul and body
       stretch apart
       ripping
       snapping

I can't...
     I can't...

I can't scream
     and
     I can't remain silent

I can't weep
   I can't fight back
I can't protect myself
   I can't protect my
           baby sister
   except to shut up
         numb out
             hold still
        jam it
           wedge it
  suck my thumb
     eat sugar
          read books
     become fat & insulated
             until I can't
              even find me

don't let him
        touch me or
             he'll have
                     power
                         over
                               me

stop moving
          numb
             play dead
      don't cry
              don't scream
                      don't fight

death
   powerless