Some people call them decades, I prefer to call them "my collected works" -Leigh, Curly Girl Design, "Collected Works" card
New Growth
Cray-pas, charcoal, 2010
Black Hills, SD
Aaahh, the Black Hills. Very soulful.
What really stood out to me this time was the burn zones. There were whole acres of black. Some lightning strike started a forest fire as I recall. So stark and black and jagged.
But even more interesting to me was the new growth from the tiny sprouts to the saplings. We climbed a watch tower hill with a panoramic view of everything and I was stopped by this view of blackened burned out trunks surrounded by new growth. In the hole created by one or two old glories now burned to charcoal stood dozens of newbies, vying for light and resources. These newbies couldn't grow until there was a hole for them. Some pine cones don't even open to release their seeds until they burn in a fire.
I find new growth among the dead fascinating. And very hopeful.
