The Path Behind


Charcoal and cray-pas
December 12, 2011
Banning State Park

On a beautiful cloudy day, I drew this piece standing on the threshold of a bridge, looking back down the path I'd just walked.  Honored the transition.  Waved farewell and crossed over.  Stepped out onto the path.  Could only see a few yards ahead.  The past receding and the new revealing with each step. 

How do I know when to turn from gazing at the path behind? 
How do I know when to walk on? 
How shall I find the courage when so much of the path is hidden and only a few yards of trail old and new are seen?


I took comfort because I could retrace my steps if I needed to.  My past was not forgotten. 
Merely out of sight.

I gained courage when I hiked a switchback to retrieve the art journal I'd mistakenly left beside the trail I thought I'd follow home.  My story is not lost.
I can come back for myself every time.

I found curiosity rising in me as I wondered what lay ahead for me.  After everything and everything, my life is beautiful.
I want to see what's around the next bend in my path. 
So, I turn and walk on.


My friends, this season is coming to an end and so is this art blog.
Blessings to us all.
Farther in and higher up.
Walk on.