God's Healing Garden


Acrylic paints, morning glory seeds from my yard, essential oils
Good Friday, 2009

 On Good Friday during another silent day At the Foot of the Cross, I painted one of my favorite images of heaven- God's Healing Garden.  This piece echoes the imagery on my quilt.

All betrayal and sadness and grief and suffering, everyone and everything buried in God's healing garden blooms instantly into these giant, vibrantly colored flowers.  I painted this piece with my fingers and wiped them off in the upper left corner.  Those smears became interesting in their own right.

Good Friday is often quite bleak in early spring and there were no blooms in my own healing garden.  But on the way to church, I did gather seeds from the dead morning glory plants climbing my fence.  I pressed those seeds into the black paint as a prayer from a barren day.